Bio of a Commercial Shoot: 9 Days in 4.5 Minutes

Last year during our winter photo/video campaign for REI, Chase asked me to shoot a few behind the scenes stills every day to contribute to his Diary of a Shoot blog series. The following is what he got in return. This is what happens when you ask the video guy to shoot stills.

Too fast for you? Take spin through Chase’s blog series for the daily play by play of the shoot. It’s packed with useful information.

The music is “Eyes Be Closed” by Washed Out. If you dig it, you can buy it here.

20 Responses to Bio of a Commercial Shoot: 9 Days in 4.5 Minutes

1. Armaziu Radu June 26, 2012 at 11:00 am #

1st? now that’s what they call “the good life” great stuff, would like to see the photos thou…
    p.s. its been a long time since u posted something like this…would like to see it more often. :D

2. Sherri June 26, 2012 at 11:07 am #

Ahhh Colorado, how you stir my heart! Really fun story telling in this video! Loved it.

3. Adam June 26, 2012 at 11:13 am #

You guys officially have the best job in the world. I know it must be lots of hard work and the “glamour” moments come far apart and few between but the rewards must be great. Sweet stills sequence guys! Keep stuff like this coming.

4. Jonny June 26, 2012 at 11:26 am #

Perfect afternoon piece to chill out for 5 minutes. Loved the music sync with the framerate.

5. DanielKphoto June 26, 2012 at 12:50 pm #

Super awesome Erik, very lovely video/montage of stills. Definitely a piece of art by itself!

6. Goncalo Figueiredo June 26, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

Beautiful… loved the storyline in this time-lapse arrangement. Lot of work I’ sure…. but all worth it!

I was wondering… how can you make this sort of time-lapse effect using video? Are there any tools in final cut pro to cut parts of the video sequentially in a set interval time into a set of pics? Simply put… could you have done this with video instead of pics?

7. Caleb Hutton June 26, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

Glad you enjoyed Colorado, if you ever make it over to Grand Junction (CO) the drinks are on me!

8. Martin Beebee June 26, 2012 at 6:44 pm #

Sweet montage, and perfect music. How much of this piece was pre-planned? Given the number of sequential stills you were able to use, it seems like someone must have been thinking about this idea ahead-of-time.

9. squid June 26, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

Your team puts out amazing work, thanks for sharing.

10. michael June 27, 2012 at 5:31 am #

wonderful – very inspiring footage. Thanks guys!

11. faisal June 27, 2012 at 8:46 am #

Wow, and eventually that turns up even less when it goes on air!

12. Nick Girard June 27, 2012 at 9:30 am #

Nice I can dig it. I remember when this happened. I was driving across the USA and happened to be in Telly also. I was hoping to run into this crew.

Nice photo video. I like these!

13. skier666 June 27, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

The Washed Out tune set the perfect tone to the video of stills. How awesome is that United employee at the Denver airport on the way to Montrose? Great job.

14. kasey June 27, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

Absolutely love it! Totally inspirational.
    How about a post on how you went about putting it together?

15. Scott Rinckenberger June 28, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

Great work Erik and CJ! This might be the closest thing to actually being there that I’ve ever seen. Thanks for the memories!

16. Mike June 29, 2012 at 5:46 am #

I love everything about this post. So cool.

17. Joe July 9, 2012 at 7:18 am #

Stills as movie — very cool concept perfectly executed.

1. Things You’ll Find Interesting June 26, 2012 | Chuq Von Rospach, Photographer and Author - June 26, 2012

[...] 9 Days on Location in 4.5 Minutes [...]

2. Let There Be LIGHTT — and MIRRORGRAM [two very cool new iPhone photo apps] @ Spotofoto - October 22, 2012

[...] better than I’ve ever seen in mobile, while nailing the best of both worlds (ala some of my chasejarvisFRAMES videos but in created in your hand on the fly). It captures images in 10 frame bursts — a [...]

3. Let There Be LIGHTT — and MIRRORGRAM [two very cool new iPhone photo apps] | PHOTODIGEST.INFO - October 22, 2012