#TheMeeting8 – Recap Video from Aspen/Snowmass on Vimeo.

Some of you might have noticed that I dropped the behind-the-scenes video last week from the shooting of the Aspen-Snowmass campaign. I launched this immediately following a return visit to Aspen to attend The Meeting, the annual gathering of professional filmmakers, media, and brands. The folks at Aspen put together this cool re-cap video – check it out above.

Aspen is always well worth the visit, but late September is an especially stunning time of year. The foliage was popping, the films were mind-blowing and there was even a bit of professional education sprinkled into the mix. I participated in two panels – one as the moderator [Content Distribution] and one as a panelist that focused on how to cultivate online community . This panel was alongside my friends Robert Scoble, Gary Arndt and Alex Hillinger.

Some key take-aways from our panel:

_most of the most successful communities were born of interest and passion – not just the desire to “have” and audience (duh)

_giving content and expecting nothing in return is a key to building a successful communities

_social media is a tool. It is not THE point. Social Media is to Building Community as A Hammer is to Building a House

_spending time responding in person to positive AND negative comments is critical.

_taking advantage of opportunities for physical interactions are great community builders (eg: Recently, I did a tweet-up in South Africa that was an awesome one-on-one interaction with members of this community)

If you want to see the full panel discussions – the results are below for your viewing pleasure.

11 Responses to How to Cultivate an Online Community — Re-cap from Aspen Panels at The Meeting 8

1. Mike Folden October 11, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

Those are awesome take away ponts. Looks like an insanely inspirational event!

2. Jeni October 11, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

Thank you!

3. faisal October 12, 2012 at 7:00 am #

The best way is to develop a personal rapport with readers.

4. Ben Fette November 18, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

Why would bidders want the public in with them?

5. Daniel Kappelle November 29, 2012 at 10:42 am #

Those points are definitely interesting and I’ll keep them in my head :)
    Unfortunately I don’t have the time to watch the individual panels right now, but I definitely will once I do have the time :) The 2.5 minute recap was fun to watch, thanks for sharing Chase ;)

6. Travis Alex December 27, 2012 at 12:54 pm #

Just got done watching all these. This information was insanely valuable. There was a bunch I already knew, but A LOT I didn’t, Thanks so much Chase for taking your time to go out to this and give your input, as well as giving us this great content to absorb in helping us on our journey’s.

7. Karl Chroman January 18, 2013 at 1:03 pm #

Utterly composed content material , Really enjoyed examining .

8. edu link building May 2, 2013 at 9:36 am #

Sweet blog! I found it while surfing around on
    Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Thanks

9. www.cfconnections.com.au June 7, 2013 at 7:35 am #

Hello, just wanted to tell you, I liked this article. It was inspiring. Keep on posting!

10. Dwain Balde April 6, 2014 at 7:34 pm #

LOL! That is certainly some significant OCD. Possibly they have been leftover from some VIP who wanted every thing but all those colors of m&ms.

1. Things You’ll Find Interesting October 11, 2012 | Chuq Von Rospach, Photographer and Author - October 11, 2012

[...] How to Cultivate Online Community — Re-cap Aspen-Snowmass Panel at The Meeting | Chase Jarvis … [...]