Chase Jarvis 60: Macklemore

I’m grateful to have so many friends in the Seattle community who influence and inspire me. Among them – Ben Haggerty.

Known to the world as Macklemore, Ben and his talented musical partner-in-crime Ryan Lewis have been on rocket-ship ride to hip hop stardom in the last 7 months. They have been touring non-stop and sold millions of downloads their #1 hit song Thriftshop from the incredible album The Heist. They have appeared on Jay Leno, Saturday Night Live, Letterman, Colbert Report and all the other major talk shows and venues along the way. It’s been fun to watch. We were fortunate enough to have them on our humble little show chasejarvisLIVE back in October of 2011. After the show I caught up with Ben for this portrait. Enjoy the moment.

Macklemore is a talented and a wonderful human being who reminds us all to be honest, fun and grateful. To see what I’m talking about check out this blog post he wrote last week – here.

6 Responses to Chase Jarvis 60: Macklemore

1. Nicholas Gonzalez May 3, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

That’s an awesome moment.

2. faisal May 4, 2013 at 10:34 am #

Honesty also works, no matter what people think, it never fails.

3. Oliver May 4, 2013 at 12:07 pm #

He seems like a cool, down to earth guy.

Minor critique: I think the format could be improved a bit by shooting for longer and then using only one minute of the overall footage. It’s kind of awkward in the beginning and I think it takes most people a bit to get warmed up and talking about anything interesting. Maybe the initial awkwardness is part of the idea because everybody reacts differently, but by letting people just talk for longer and taking a one minute crop you might get more interesting footage. I’m definitely not a performer, so I know it would take me a minute or two to get comfortable and say anything that might be worth sharing.

• Oliver May 4, 2013 at 12:18 pm #

Neeeeevermind… I checked out the other videos. These are totally different than what I thought they were.

4. Heath May 4, 2013 at 6:42 pm #

I shot a Macklemore and Ryan Lewis show in Brisbane, Australia a couple of months ago – http://heathcarney.com/macklemore-and-ryan-lewis – and it has really stuck in my mind for a few reasons.

1. Several times during the show, you could tell that Ben was genuinely appreciative, humbled, almost overwhelmed, by the level of support over here on the other side of the world.
    2.There was no first-3-song restriction. The other photographer left after three, but I stuck around and shot the whole show from the pit.
    3. During their many ventures off-stage both Ben and Ryan seemed to be aware of my presence in the pit. They didn’t engage with me directly (nor should they), but there seemed to be an ‘unspoken’ sense of mutual respect for what each other was there to do. Hard to describe, but it was appreciated.
    4. It was the most fun I’ve had shooting a live show for ages.

5. muscle ups May 6, 2013 at 10:19 pm #

I’m excited to uncover this site. If you don’t mind Could I also share a tip. Fidning a Personal sexy muscles Lawyer can be dificult, if you live in Sourthern California therefore you desire a sexy muscles nude man, mouse click my link.