Underwater iPhoneography – The Gear I Used to Find Nemo

While in Belize a couple months ago, I took the opportunity to field test a new iPhone case designed for action sports photography + video. (I’m a big fan of field testing new tech/gadgets; see my out-of-the-box successes with the DJI quadcopter—> here).

Without getting in the weeds here, let’s be honest. We’re not aiming for the Oscars with this footage, but I’m not gonna lie… I quite frequently need a little breather from all the high end work that I’m focused on doing. Not everything needs a $150,000 Phantom camera to be good or fun. You with me? Good. Then ENTER—>The Optrix XD5 — a waterproof housing for the iPhone 5 that gave me a nice 175 degree wide-angle lens and control functionality while coasting from reef to reef. It couldn’t have been easier or more chill to use… I’d recommend this to family vacationers and pros alike who dig the occasional goofing around with some gear. Watch through the end of the video to see a few super basic stills I was able to take on one very very short swim about the reef.

Note: the video above was shot on an iPhone housed in the same XD5. Totally passable, in my opinion. And an idiot-proof design, as the video reveals.

Check out the Optrix line of iPhone housings.

For more behind-the-scenes action from my Belize assignment, you can go here, here + here.

Music by Small Face.

Jacob Isle says:

I would prefer in using GoPro :-)

You’ll want to phrase any posts that may contain a critique without instantly calling out another member here or members from other forums or cooling fan sites. Doing so can cause messy “flame wars” that could be difficult to extinguish. One good way is to just phrase everything to be your own opinion. For example, “I personally find Shawn’s phone grating, her style over-the-top frustrating, and the fact that she wears a lot purple makes me think she need to be mentally unstable” (or what have you). You can stop furthermore there. You don’t have to be on to explain how dumbfounded you could be that anyone disagrees along.

Jake Saunders says:

Hi Chase, do you use the Camera app built into iPhone or another app?

Cheers

Tom says:

I have one of those cases. It’s not bad for what it is. Especially if you want to take your phone anywhere near water it’s actually not a bad solution.

There are a couple complaints I would have. The lens caps falls off to easily. Add to that the lens isn’t particularly scratch proof and can’t be replaced resulted in me now having a very expensive waterproof case.

The other thing that needs to be considered is that there is quite a bit of vignetting in the footage.

you’re really a good webmaster. The site loading speed is incredible. It seems that you are doing any distinctive trick. Moreover, The contents are masterwork. you have done a excellent process in this subject!

Jedna Chwila says:

yes – for me – also GoPro! :)
& thanks for sharing this post!

Robson says:

I use a GoPro and they are awesome for this sort of thing. However you can’t beat the convenience of having a waterproof housing for a iphone that you always carry around with you. Thanks for sharing Chase.

faisal says:

Insane but I would prefer the GoPro, any day.

kylie says:

How would you compare this to using a go pro?

rich says:

If you are into SCUBA diving, I’d recommend looking into Watershot iphone cases. Waterproof down to 195 ft. I took mine down to 140ft and it was perfectly fine

Chase says:

thats probably a better option. this is just for lightweight work for certain I was happy w the results but obviously didn’t push it that hard.